Howdy all I’m back with another article and if you couldn’t tell from the title it’s all about vitamins and minerals.
Now you simply can’t eat enough to get all the vitamins and minerals you need for the fact that food isn’t of the quality it once was many moons ago. Instead of being your 5 a day it’s closer to 8 a day fruit and veg.
For general health we need to supplement our diets to maximise our body’s potential. If you are a regular gym rat or run to keep fit etc then you will definitely need supplements as you will be breaking down and using more of these nutrients then the average person.
Below is my personal selection of what you need to maximise health and wellbeing, these will also help improve your workouts and recovery.
- Omega 3 – this is an absolute must, this is why it’s no.1 on the list. Omega 3 improves brain health, cardiovascular health, eyes, hair, skin nails, it helps with fat loss by reducing fat in the liver and helps prevent inflammation to just name a few. You can take up to 10 tablets a day depending on the tablet size and no I’m not joking. 1 small tablet is the equivalent to 1g, your body can take up to 15g of omega 3 a day. I would recommend 2 tablets with each meal.
- Magnesium – this helps in reducing fatigue and improving sleep at night, among improving energy creation, protein formation, gene maintenance, muscle movements and nervous system regulation. Most people are deficient in magnesium so this is a must for everyone. Take 2 tablets with your pm meal and if you train take another 1-2 after training.
- Vitamin d3 – I specifically choose vit d3 as your body absorbs more from this type then the others on the market. Vitamin D keeps your bones and muscles healthy and strong a must if you are into your training. Especially in winter the sun is not strong enough for us to get a sufficient amount so you need to supplement. This is very true for people who work in offices you don’t get enough exposure. Take 2 tablets a day with a meal.
- Zinc piconilate – this is very important in regulating the male hormone testosterone, boosts your immune system, cell growth and division, enzyme reactions, DNA synthesis and protein production. All very important in day to day life but doubly important if you are looking to improve muscular strength and mass. Take two tablets a day but if you train take an extra one before or after your workout.
- Digestive enzymes – too many foods we eat irritate the gut without us knowing. Bloatedness, indigestion and heartburn are common side effects from what we eat by introducing digestive enzymes we can help the gut break down stubborn foods. Take 1-3 tablets a day with a meal.
There are many others depending on your deficiencies and requirements but these are the more bang for your buck and the ones that will make an overall difference to your health and wellbeing.
Remember this is just my opinion from what I have learnt over the years, if you were ever to take my advice and have a reaction to it stop what you are doing immediately and seek medical advice.